Tuesday, July 4, 2006
A very nice holiday
Today was a nice day, albeit a long one. I got up earlier than I really had to so that I could make the pudding for the party. It was some good stuff ;). Nicole must take some credit, since she did help put it all together. I also had the chance to talk to a friend this morning, which is always nice. Then Nicole and I went to the home where the party was and helped put all of the food together. I mixed the ingredients for chili, cut a watermelon to make it look pretty (it was not perfect, which bothered me, but I need to get over that) and used a melon ball scoop for the first time in my life to get the flesh out of the melon for the fruit salad (which was then put into the watermelon rind), made a cake, did some other odd tasks in the kitchen and observed how to make mayonnaise from scratch. I had a chance to talk briefly to "Grandma" (I now actually know her name and can remember it, but it is easier to call her "Grandma") about the cooking class/Bible study that we plan to start up in the fall. She suggested the theme of hospitality for the Bible study portion, which I think would be great. It is certainly appropriate! Nicole and I inherited another cookbook with some great recipes in it during the process of cooking. Then other people showed up and we had the party. Not long after everyone arrived my friend's 8 month old daughter fell asleep on my lap. She is so precious! We went down to the playground at the school across the street (where I am working right now) and played with the stuff out there. When it got dark we went out to another home that is farther out away from the city to have some fireworks and sit around a bonfire. After the fireworks and a little bit more food we headed back home. I'm really tired, but I had a good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
We are currently enjoying WW3 in our neighborhood. Even though they are illegal, somehow people got a hold of mortars and m80's. Hmm...
How is the weather there? Have the waters gone down? I hope so.
Well, technically all fireworks are illegal in New York state, but they aren't in Pennsylvania, so people drive down (all 10 miles or so) across the border and buy all they want. My friends in California used to make their own explosives that were for the sole purpose of making a lot of noise. Pyromaniacs, the lot of them!
The weather isn't too bad. It's humid, which is pretty much the permanent weather condition here during the summer. We had a little bit of rain yesterday in the morning, but it cleared up by the afternoon. It was warm but not hot and was quite pleasant for most of the day. They said it was supposed to get a lot warmer than it did. The river is well below flood stage now, so the task in the area now is to clean up all of the mud that the river deposited on everything it touched.
Sounds like a rather nice day, Angie! Glad you had an enjoyable Independence Day :)
It sounds a very nice and sociable holiday.
Sarah and Matt, yes, it was enjoyable and very nice. Thanks. :)
Glad you had such a nice holiday! :D
Post a Comment