Some thoughts on true friendship...
Proverbs 18:24 ~ A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Proverbs 17:17 ~ A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Proverbs 27:10 ~ Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.
Friends are there for each other. When we face trials and have needs, true friends help us. This is especially important for those of us who do not live near any of our family. We must rely on friends because they are the resources we have where we are. We must also be reliable friends with open arms to those who are alone. Friends are faithful!
Proverbs 27:6 ~ Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Proverbs 27:9 ~ Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.
Proverbs 27:17 ~ Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Friends offer honest feedback in love. Sometimes what needs to be said is not pleasant, but we do it because that is part of being a true friend. We should be willing to take and give counsel from and to our friends. It is good for our very happiness to do so! We should build each other up and help each other grow sharper. Friends seek the sanctification of their friends.
Luke 15:6 ~ And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
Luke 15:9 ~ And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
Friends rejoice with their friends. We are not to become jealous when one of our friends has something good happen. Their happiness should be our happiness, too. This is harder than it sounds!
John 15:13-15 ~ Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Our best Friend! Friends share their lives and a certain degree of intimacy, and that is what God has offered to us through Jesus Christ. Jesus, what a friend for sinners!
I know this is my second hymn this week, but I can't help myself. He is there when times are hard. He gives us wonderful counsel. He laid down His life for me. Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.
Refrain
Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.
Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.
Refrain
Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.
Refrain
Jesus! what a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.
Refrain
Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.
Refrain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Amen! Preach it, sister! :)
Oy! It is going to take me forever to catch up to all your posts while I was gone, lol! :)
Welcome back, Shieryl. I hope you enjoyed Hawaii. Did you notice the prevalence of Spam everywhere? Did you eat lots of macademia nuts? Did you shop at Hilo Hattie? (Okay, so you can do that on the mainland now...)
Thanks Angie! :) OK, you know you're an internet geek when someone mentions "spam" and you think about email spam. I was like, huh? What does that have to do with my trip? LOL! Actually, I was really looking forward to the prevalence of Spam (me being the Spam-loving Filipina that I am), however believe it or not Kauai didn't really have that much spam around. There was more mixed plate local food stuff than spam. Quite disappointing! But luckily, all the macadamia nuts more than made up for my lack of spam. Ha. Gotta get the salt in me one way or the other, eh? ;) We actually didn't do any shopping at Hilo Hattie for that reason - we preferred to go into the little hole in the wall shops to help out local businesses. :)
The first time I went to Hawaii Hilo Hattie was only on the islands, so it was a real treat. I think the one at the Block might be the first one they put on the mainland. It's a fun place to go to, but they are so expensive that I would never buy anything other than macademia nuts, and you can get those at the ABC stores they have all over the place there. The best part about the one on Maui was the huge Hawaiian shirt on the wall. It had to have been at least 20'x20'. I don't remember if the one on Oahu had one or not.
Great stuff.
Thanks, Matt. :)
Great post, Angie!!
Thank you, Sarah!
Post a Comment