I must confess that I really intended to sit down around 2:58 and post a blog just before the end of my vow of silence to indicate that I did not actually keep my vow as stated. I visited other blogs. I decided this afternoon that I needed to go on a little shopping spree to Old Navy after dropping some stuff off at school. I bought two skirts, which should make some of you out there happy ;). I just got home or I would have posted earlier.
The vow was somewhat successful, although I did not get done as much as I would have liked. I did spend quite a bit of time putting my portfolio together from the class I taught this semester. I have one last step (which may take a little time still), and that is to make a CD of as much of my material as I can. My new computer should arrive tomorrow, and I will need it to burn the CD, as my laptop has no such capability (and I have been kicking myself ever since I bought it for not getting a CD-RW drive on it).
I've been thinking about one of those questions that people ask from time to time and I would like to ask you all out there to give an answer. What would you do with a million dollars (or 500,000 GBP)? I would pay off my school loans, give a chunk of it to my church, set aside enough to pay for the rest of my education and buy a house (and furnish it decently well). Hopefully I would still have quite a bit left over after that to invest. Somehow I don't think I will be able to retire well on the $15,000 or so that I have in my retirement account. I really don't foresee any such monetary increase in my near future, so I'll keep this all in the realm of the hypothetical.
Thanks for making me feel missed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I would buy my own apartment.
Then I would be satisfied. There is nothing else I want.
Good to see you back again.
God Bless
Matthew
Yay, Angie's back!!
Hum a million dollars. Our church is in desperate need of renovation, so most of money will be donated to God's house. I would like to help my mother, brother and my family out. Oh, helping the missionaries in need...etc.
Actually, I would get rid of the million dollars as best I can. I've seen one to many cases where money corrupts, makes you greedy and paranoid. I enjoy my simple life!
Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Proverbs 30:8-9
One million dollars is not such a large sum anymore. I think it would go away quickly. You are right, Sarah, about helping people with it. I would probably give some to my sisters and parents. I know for sure that anyone in my family could use a little extra.
Did you just call a church building God's house? ;) That's a rather controversial statement! When the Psalmist said, "I was glad when they said to me, Let us go to the house of the LORD," I think he meant the Temple. Is there any other building that is referred to biblically as the house of the LORD?
The word house is used in a Church context in 2 Tim 2:20 and also in 1 Cor. Some writers have implied subtle differences between the concept of the body and the house.
I think it is wrong to call a church building God's house. It is not a temple.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
Do you remember when "million dollar house" used to mean a mansion type thing? Now a million dollar house is nothing spectacular anymore - lol. I would probably do the same with it that you said, except add that I would give to my family also and go traveling a bit.
Shieryl, where I live million dollar houses are pretty much mansions. You can get a house that is 3000 square feet for under $250,000. Oh, yeah, and it might just be on several acres of land.
That's awesome! SO much better than the housing market here in So. CA. I wish I could handle cold, snowy winters. Alas, me + cold weather = nono. lol ;) I've heard the Virginias are quite nice - does it snow in the Virginias do you know? I will be out in the SouthEastern area for my first business trip! All expenses paid, baby! I will finally get to order room service at least once in my life. :) I will make sure to scope out the real estate out there, although the hurricane possibility might rule out that area. The search for a home continues!
It does snow in Virginia (I don't know about WV, but I imagine it would get at least some snow), although not as much as it does here. Hurricaines rarely hit that far north, either, so they usually only get the rain from the weather systems. Housing prices get cheaper the farther you get from D.C., generally. From what I understand the summers there are pretty miserable - really muggy.
Post a Comment