Thursday, May 18, 2006

I was so confused

I got a UPS delivery today. I wasn't particularly thrilled to see the UPS truck pull up outside because I had a sinking feeling that it was for me. Ordinarily I am happy to get packages, but I had just gotten out of the shower and was wearing my bathrobe. Not exactly public attire. At least it wasn't the usual UPS guy; that would have been even more awkward. Needless to say I was not expecting any such delivery. I checked the delivery dates of the stuff I ordered and the earliest I was supposed to get anything (new computer) was tomorrow, and the package was far too small for that. Anyway, the return address on the package was on Rose Hills Drive in Whittier, CA, with no company or individual name. This is when I became confused. Whittier is my hometown, so that's one thing that jumped out at me. The second is the street name. Rose Hills Drive is named after Rose Hills Cemetary. It's a huge cemetary and happens to be where my family owns some burial plots. A week and a half ago my parents met with someone from Rose Hills to talk about arrangements for preplanning my grandmother's funeral and burial. I opened the package immediately to find out what on earth I had just received. It was a wireless router that I ordered online this week. It wasn't supposed to show up until Monday. This thing is cool. It's a compact router with no external antenna. It's about the size of a package of 5 floppy disks. Now I can blog on my sofa or on my bed. Yes! Mobility doesn't mean sacrificing the internet connection anymore! Woohoo! Note to self: UPS delivery due tomorrow - shower and dress early.

9 comments:

Carey said...

Okay, half-way through your post I'm getting creeped out thinking "She got a package from someone living in a cemetary...?"

Mobility is so nice. It allows me to blog from my couch!

Angie said...

I was freaked out that I got a package from people at the cemetary with materials related to a funeral. No, no, no, that goes to my parents, not to me.

Wireless all set up. I'm on the couch now. Life is good.

Anonymous said...

Yes, wireless is the only way to go. :) Hate the clunky, messy, annoying wires! Welcome to the club! :)

Angie said...

Welcome back to the club, that is. I had wireless at home with my parents for three years and have been without since. To bad my laptop battery is pathetic; I still have to have it plugged in if I want to work for longer than 30 minutes. Bah!

Anonymous said...

Your battery is funky too? I know, tell me about it! Mine is the same way. Boooo! It didn't used to be that way, I think I just made it tired all the time cuz I use it too much. LOL.

Redeemed said...

oh, lol, how wonderful. Don't you just love it when people show up at the door and you're wearing some silly attire.

I have a wireless router, but, stupid me, wasn't able to install it. :( My brother will do it when he comes this summer (but he doesn't know this yet) :)

Angie said...

Oh, yes, I just love having people come to the door when I am not dressed as I think I should be for public appearances! It does have the effect of increasing humility, so I guess there is something good that can come of it.

I had to call the cable company to get help. The modem needed to be restarted. I am a former computer tech (that's what I did for 2.5 years prior to returning to school), so the fact that I didn't do that before I called is pathetic. Sigh...

This comment, I believe, makes 40 comments on this blog today. That must be some kind of record!

Matthew Celestine said...

Sounds useful.

I think I have one of those. It enables me to blog in my bedroom.

God Bless

Matthew

Angie said...

The router is somewhat out of necessity. I am addicted to the blogosphere and would like my poor roommate to be able to use the internet from time to time.