Sunday, May 14, 2006

Pear bread

I bought some D'Anjou pears at the grocery store the other day. I bought eight of them. Why I bought so many pears that would all come ripe at the same time is a bit of a mystery even for me. For the past few days I have been looking around for ways of using them. I have a recipe for poached pears served over vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce that I would love to try, but I don't think I should poach a bunch of pears for my own consumption. Maybe when I have guests over sometime I will try that. Today I found a pear bread recipe online that I thought I would try. I opted to use 1/2 oil and 1/2 unsweetened apple sauce, since many of the reviews said that the apple sauce was a good substitution. I did not use all apple sauce because I don't usually make any "low-fat" substitutions, so even using half was a bit of a risk for me. I also used 1/2 light brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar, also something that other bakers had tried. I left out the pecans since I usually prefer my quick breads without nuts. My own twist on the recipe was to top it with streusel (which happens to be made with walnuts, so I ended up with nuts on my bread anyway). Nobody suggested this, but I thought it would be good. The recipe was for two 8x4 inch loaves, but since I only have 9x5 loaf pans I decided to make one loaf and some muffins with the leftover batter. The muffins are out of the oven and I tried one. It was quite good. It reminds me of a light spice cake (it has cinnamon and nutmeg in it), just with chunks of pear. The streusel was good, too. The flavor blended well with the muffin. The good news is that I used almost 4 pears (I ate part of one), and since I ate one earlier and gave one to Nicole yesterday I only have two pears left. I think I can manage to eat them before they go bad. I do like pears. :)

6 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I do like pears.

Redeemed said...

That sounds yum, I'd like to try that some day. I like pears also!

Redeemed said...

Oh, how was your job interview? I'm sure you nailed it!!!

Angie said...

Matthew, you forgot the smiley face after "I do like pears." ;)

Sarah, it was good, but I would not recommend streusel topping on a loaf (messy) and would recommend more than just lightly greasing the pan - the loaf stuck to the pan quite well. Good thing I'm the one eating it, since I don't really care what it looks like!

Pears are good stuff. I am glad we all agree on that. :)

Carey said...

Oooh yummy! You are making me drool! Substitution is something I have to do all the time. Avoid processed, bleached, or enriched flour. No sugar (specifically sucrose). Low fat or no fat. Whole wheat. Whole grain. The list goes on... sometimes it is a little frustrating, eating like a diabetic, but at least I feel much better!

Carey said...

Pears are excellent with walnuts and yogurt.