John 21
9 So when they got out on the land, they saw a charcoal fire already laid and fish placed on it, and bread.
10 Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish which you have now caught."
11 Simon Peter went up and drew the net to land, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three; and although there were so many, the net was not torn.
12 Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of the disciples ventured to question Him, "Who are You?" knowing that it was the Lord.
13 Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and the fish likewise.
Fish is supposed to be really healthy. I don't have a habit of eating it often since I have a bit of a history of getting sick off of it. I think that I am going to try it more often and see how I do with it. If I do well I will probably be better off for it and it will make me even less of a picky eater than I already am.
In honor of this resolve I had bratwurst for dinner. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
A little fish never hurts anybody...=)
However, bratwurst is better...lol
Fish is good for you.
I get the impression from TV and films that a lot of Americans dislike fish.
Something to do with the USA not being an island?
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
Fish is yummy! I'd eat it more often if I weren't so land-locked and seafood so expensive. Salmon is my personal favorite, along with Tilapia (available almost anywhere), and Snook (a rather large S. African salt-water fish).
Fish have Omega 3, an essential fatty acid.
Matthew, some Americans do not care for fish (my grandmothers being some of them), but these are usually the people who are raised in the Great Plains, where fish are not available. Depends on where you go in the US. I personally love any kind of seafood - salmon, shrimp, lobster, crab, bass, tilapia, sole... oh yum!
Fish is very readily available where I grew up. My dad loves to fish, so he used to bring home massive quantities of fish from his trips, and then we had to eat it about three times a week. It was mostly salmon and trout, from what I recall. Eating anything too often can make it a chore and I have never adored the taste of fish in general to begin with.
I like stuff like shrimp and scallops and lobster and calamari, but they are rather rich and I am perfectly happy to eat such things once every few months. There are certain kinds of fish that I like, but I usually prefer the really mild tasting fish. Salmon is good. I like albacore. Mahi mahi (dorado if you get it from Mexico instead of Hawaii) is good. I really like Chilean sea bass. Shark is also very good. Even so I would rarely actually eat fish. I have gotten sick off of fish from really nice seafood restaurants, so I think the combination of my childhood over-exposure and my adult digestive disorder have driven me away from it more than mere flavor preference.
Lol, you're funny.
Lebanese eat a lot of fish. Mediterranean thing I guess!
You know, lil sis, it was not until about 5 years after moving out of the family home that I decided to try fish again. Even that, it happens, was out of "necessity" because I needed more protein options during fasting periods.
Fact is, we had fresh, wonderful fish that was well-prepared growing up. Your gentle readers should not be misled by our mutual dislike of the stuff. It isn't the fish that was bad--not in any way--it is just that we seemed to eat it every day for months at a time! I daresay I'd probably even grow sick of chocolate eating it that often. Cheese, on the other hand...
I will actually order fish now from time to time. I did, however, nearly cause the folks to have coronaries when I confessed to be craving Red Lobster food (!?I don't understand either!?) during lent. Their response? We went to Red Lobster for dinner. :)
Poor Dad... his love for catching the elusive silvery things turned into a childhood bitterness for his kids. LOL!
What a neat story of how you and your sisters became sick of fish. lol! I too did not like fish because of my childhood experience with it. In the Philippines, to conserve food they serve a lot of animals whole. In fish's case, they served it with its head on, its bones still in there, tail and everything. So whenever I would eat it as a child there would be these gross fish eyes looking up at me (which my parents eventually ate! eww!). Also, I would occassionally swallow a fish bone which would hurt my throat. Hence, me and fish didn't get along very well. Now however, I am no longer afraid of the fish bones and the filets that are available here helped further my relations with fish. LOL. Now I love fish, with Salmon at the top of the list! :)
Bratwurst, on the other hand, I have never tried. Whenever people talk about bratwurst I always get it mixed up with Sauerkraut. What IS bratwurst? Is it yummy???
Bratwurst is a type of sausage. It can be made with beef or pork, but I kind of prefer mine made from pork. It is often served with sauerkraut, which I happen to love (really good with sourdough bread and ketchup) and would have purchased to compliment the brats if only they sold it in small quantities. Bratwurst are my favorite kind of sausage.
My sisters and I had a little bit of trouble with lamb because of presentation. My dad would make a really nice leg of lamb and then it would be served whole. Cut it before serving it so it doesn't LOOK like a leg! The psychology is key. Beef tongue is like that, too - it takes really good, but I don't want to see it whole on a platter on the table. Now that I am older and cook my own food things like that tend to bother me less, but I still don't like to think about what my food looked like alive.
*beef tongue TASTES really good, that is
Shieryl, if you visit the Philippines or any relatives that serve fish whole, Calvin Miller has a message for you:
EAT THE EYE FIRST
Whenever I'm served
A whole fish with a head
And its fried eye
Glares up from the table,
I eat the eye first
So the fish cannot watch
While I eat
The rest (if I'm able).
So if you're served a fish
That gawks from its dish
As its fishy eye stares
And makes you feel cursed,
You'll enjoy it more
If you eat the eye first.
Post a Comment