Friday, May 26, 2006

Tuesdays with Matthew

A few weeks ago I decided to order a "surprise box" of books from an online Christian bookseller. It cost about $1 per book, so I thought I'd do it and see what I got. The books were, as I suspected, all books that I (and, at their deeply discounted price, apparently most other people) would never purchase otherwise. One of the books I never would have purchased is called Tuesdays with Matthew. It is a work of fiction about a man who is visited by angels and then has little miraculous visits with the apostle/disciple Matthew. The objective of the book is to discuss various issues that come up in the book of Matthew. It's not a deep read or nearly as engaging as the quotes on the back of the book would tell you it is, but this was no surprise to me. Honestly one of the only reasons I kept reading past the first few pages (other than sheer curiosity) was the setting for the story. Chapter 1 mentions Huntington Beach and the Puente Hills Mall (which, if I am not mistaken, has a rather famous parking lot - it was used in Back to the Future). I read a bit more. The main character lives near Newport Beach. I know these places! Then, in chapter 3: "Before long, we were driving down Imperial Highway into Whittier..." Wait! Hold it! I lived in Whittier for 24 years. I know exactly where Imperial Highway runs through it. Shieryl lived just off of it, in fact. Matthew hosted his guest in an apartment in Whittier. Clearly this book was written by a local. He talked about Disneyland's California Adventure theme park, which I visited somewhat regularly with friends on weekends or after work (we had annual passes for Disneyland and California Adventure). He mentioned going to Del Taco and seeing praying college students there, which made me strongly suspect that they were probably students at Biola University. Too weird. I still find the premise somewhat hokey, however, and probably will never give the book rave reviews. But it takes place in Whittier...

Speaking of Shieryl, per her request, there are now prayer requests (and praises) posted in my sidebar. I will try to remember to keep them updated.

10 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

That book sounds a bit mad.

Angie said...

Yes, I would have to agree with you. I don't think I'd actually recommend it to anyone!

Redeemed said...

That is weird, Angie.

By the way, I have been to Disneyland a few times (since I have family in CA - Corona and New Corona) but never did the California Adventure. I heard it's not that great, what do you say?

Redeemed said...

Oh, and I noticed your sidebar with the prayer requestes and praises. It's a wonderful idea!

You know you are now on my "list", my prayer list that is.

Angie said...

New Corona? Never heard of it... I've been to Corona several times. The prison I did mentoring work at for a while was in Corona (in the part of town with the dairies - yay! - let's just say it had an odor).

I like the food better at DCA than at Disneyland, personally, but think overall that the rides are better at Disneyland, with the exception of California Screamin', which is the only ride that goes upside down for those of us in need of the occasional adrenaline rush. :) Actually, Soaring over California is a really cool ride, too. The atmosphere is different at the two parks, and we often went to DCA first to eat then walked across the courtyard to Disneyland for more classic Disney fun.

Anonymous said...

How funny, you bought a book written by a Whittier local. I guess he was trying to play off the title of another book, "Tuesdays with Morrie"?

Thank you for adding the sidebar prayer info, it makes it so much easier for me. I am such an info freak that having it all spread out all over your blog was making me go crazy. LOL. Yes, I am a weirdo. But thank you for simplifying it for me. :)

Angie said...

It was a good idea, I think. Now if other people did the same on their blogs *hint* it would be easier for all of us to know how to pray for each other.

Oh, Sarah, I forgot to say thank you for adding me to your list. Thanks!

burndive said...

A better way than updating your template all the time would be to reference external javascript files from within the template that contain the lists of requests/praises and the psalm of the day (or even verse of the moment: might as well, if you're using JS).

That would of course require you to have a place on the web to store and update the .js files.

And while I'm at it, in any case you should use the >ul< tag for lists.

burndive said...

Gaa!! That should say <ul>

Angie said...

Ummm, in English?