Saturday, May 13, 2006

A rather expensive ordeal

I will be moving in just a few weeks (yay!). I currently live in a furnished apartment and am moving to an unfurnished one. I need furniture! I need a bed. That is somewhat non-negotiable. I like beds to be soft, not firm, so I can't just get whatever is cheapest - my back would never forgive me! I figure with delivery costs I will have to pay around $700 for what I am looking at, but it is an investment. I also need bookshelves, and I own so many books that I'm going to have to get two. Wal*Mart has them for $30, so I'll be shopping there. I also need a dresser and a nightstand, which won't break the bank, but they're just more to buy. I am going to buy a futon, most likely, to provide an extra place for a guest to sleep. Nicole and I have no such thing as a sofa or couch between us right now, so the futon would be multi-purpose.

I also ordered a new computer today. It should get here in about two weeks. My laptop is rapidly approaching four years old now and is starting to run a bit slow at times, so it is probably not a bad idea to replace it. I am sure I will still use it, so I'll have to get a wireless router so I can be on the internet anywhere in the apartment (or on the patio!). That's just more money to spend.

Nicole and I took an inventory of my kitchen today to see how much I have. She needs to do the same for hers so we can figure out what we would like to get to supplement what we already own. We both like to cook and bake, so the kitchen is an important room to stock properly. :) Fortunately the kitchen has a lot of cabinet space in it. I think we're going to need it!

Then I have my dream list - the things I would like to have that I know I cannot justify buying. I would really love to have a bench glider for the patio. My mom instilled in me long ago a love for porch swings, so I think a glider would be perfect for the warmer months on a small patio that really doesn't have room for a mounted swing or stand. I think we'll go for plastic patio furniture instead. The porch swing will have to remain a dream, I guess. I would also like to have nice chairs for the computer and the dining room table. We'll be using folding chairs. They are remarkably functional and cheap.

This experience helps me to really appreciate beautifully furnished homes. Our apartment is going to be a collection of cheap, mis-matched furniture, but it will meet our needs.

13 comments:

Carey said...

My solution - sleep on the floor. I had to purchase a new mattress last year and really wished I could have just slept on the floor at that rate (but my mom wouldn't let me).

Computers are not an option. Even if it is excrutiatingly painful to take money out of your savings to purchase one when your old one kicks the bucket unexpectedly.

Angie said...

I have two air mattresses, and one of them is a double-thick one (so it's about the height of a mattress and box spring), but I really don't want to sleep on one of them for several months!

I would not do well without a computer. My status as a student makes it necessary, and my addiction to the blogosphere won't let me go without, either, so I don't see many other options for myself.

Redeemed said...

ouch, that hurst, and yet, it's so much fun moving into a new place. My mom put up the condo for sale and is looking into buyin a either a bgger condo or a house. This tiny box over here is getting much too small for our needs.

So I realize how hard this ordeal is to your budget. But after all is done, the feeling of finally being settled is quite satisfying. And no compromising on the computer, Angie, we need to blog!

Redeemed said...

oh, my, Angie, my eyes are tired. Can you tell from all my mistakes. sorry!

Angie said...

It's okay, Sarah. Your comment also posted 3 times! As much as I am a "natural editor" (that is to say that I tend to notice every little error - spelling, grammar, misused words, etc.) I think I missed half of them until you said something. As I said before, you communicate! ;)

Redeemed said...

Thanks Angie. You are sweet.

It's been a long day and a long week, but a very good one. And I am not surprised my comment posted 3 times, because I was having problems with my ever so loving computer!

Carey said...

*laughs* I figured you were tired, Sarah.

Matthew Celestine said...

These expenses do come up.

I rather like Oriental Minimalism. I looked at book once, on the subject of Oriental inteirior design. It had loads of photographs of rooms that were virtually empty. Beautiful.

I like the idea of sitting on mats or the floor, Korean or Japanese style.

Why did God make me an Anglo-Saxon?

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

Matthew

Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? (Romans 9:20)

God made no mistakes when he made you and when He placed you where you are. Your ethnic heritage does not have to dictate how you live, how you decorate or whether you wear shoes in your home.

I personally like chairs. My posture is not good enough to let me sit on the floor for long without my back starting to hurt and my knees like to get stiff, too, so, old lady that I am, I prefer something with back support that lets me keep my legs moving.

I am glad we are not all alike. Life would be so boring!

Matthew Celestine said...

Absolutely right, Angie.

I tend to sit on chairs myself. No point in having them if you are not going to use them. But it would be cool not to have them, though it might take time to get used to their absence.

Old lady? Your the same age as me.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

Well, if you want to get technical about age, Matthew, I am actually about three weeks younger than you are. If I am old what does that make you? ;)

Matthew Celestine said...

Victorian.

Angie said...

Good answer! :)