I found a few weeks' worth of old chapel notes from college. I thought I would share some choice gleanings from them. Whatever I include here is how I wrote it down, not necessarily how it was said.
Dr. C. W. Smith (professor at the school known to the students as "C-Dub" - he died of cancer shortly after I graduated; they named a new dormitory after him since he was so well loved - I didn't share the same high opinion most students had for reasons of my own), Nov. 5, 2001:
On 1 Peter1:17 - Conduct yourselves with fear - be afraid! He is a holy God! He will be our Judge! His judgment is impartial - we are all so far beneath Him that human distinctions are insignificant - He judges with truth - His naughty/nice list is perfectly kept with all details - we are all naughty!
Dr. John MacArthur (ever heard of this guy?), Nov. 7, 2001:
On Phil 2:12, 13 -
Work out your salvation
It is God who is at work in you
What is the believer's role in sanctification?
Quietism - do nothing - let go and let God - passive
Pietism - sanctification demands my complete effort, overemphasis on works of self-effort - legalistic
You don't work for your salvation; you work it out
Work out in daily conduct what God has planted in your heart
Dr. MacArthur (I think he might be a Calvinist), Nov. 9, 2001 (pt 2 of the message above):
God working in us - even if I fail on my part, God still carries out His - He never fails to accomplish His will in us
Susan Heck (this must have been a "split chapel"), Nov. 28, 2001:
PROMISE - how to keep a vow (to live a holy life, also for a holy household)
Pray
Resist Temptation
Older woman is a must - be discipled
Memorize and meditate on God's word
Intent on Christ - set your affection on Christ
Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit
Examine yourself
Paul Felix (probably a local pastor or something), Dec. 3, 2001:
Temptation has a course --> it can lead to sin, but it doesn't have to! Yielding to temptation is sin - it is when your will says "Yes" to your evil desire.
Sin can lead to death, spiritual death --> Genesis 3
(There is a plan for how to avoid temptation while at home over the semester break in my notes, clearly part of this message. I was struck this morning by the suggestion that being at a Christian college and going to chapel three times a week somehow lessens the power of temptation in our lives. What arrogant rubbish!)
R. C. Sproul, Jan 17, 2002 (this was the first message from the annual Bible conference, now call the Truth & Life Conference, held at the college at the beginning of the Spring semester):
You are required to teach what the Bible teaches, not what you would like it to teach.
Some get grace; the rest get judgment. NOBODY gets injustice from God.
R. C. Sproul, Jan 18, 2002:
The cross makes us innocent, but the sinless life of Christ makes us righteous - sin's double cure - removing sin and granting righteousness ~ the key is imputation
We are saved by faith alone, but not by faith that is alone - sanctification is the evidence of a saving faith
(I included these quotes for the benefit of a certain reader who would have really hated most of this conference - I left out some other "good" ones)
Johnny Mac, Jan 19, 2002:
For the Christian, the grace of glorification is the greatest grace of all.
Heaven will be pleasure perfected, knowledge perfected, comfort perfected, love perfected and joy perfected.
Doug Bookman (former professor at the school, worked with Friends of Israel for a few years, and I think he is now the pastor of a church in CA - very good speaker and a lot of fun), Jan 30, 2002:
"Sin will make you stupid."
Trivia: What two men in the OT have the same guy as father, grandfather and uncle?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Moab and Ammon. Do I get a prize?
Thanks for sharing those notes.
God Bless
Matthew
Hmmm... What prize should Matthew get? What kind of prize do you want?
That trivia question is probably something to be found in Freud's favorite passages in the Bible.
Thanks for sharing your notes! I bet you have tones of notebooks.
I have quite a few, but I noticed that most of them have prayer requests that I write down during Prayer evening on Wdnesdays.
I do have tons of notebooks. Most are journals of some sort and contain an odd assortment of diary-type journal entries, written prayers, notes from chapel or church, etc. Some have just a few pages written and are mostly blank. I am quite inconsistent with it.
I figured out your prize, Matthew. You can put up with me for a bit in November. Looks like things are going to work out for me to go.
November? That is great. I shall look forward to that.
God Bless
Matthew
Post a Comment