Monday, May 22, 2006

Let us love one another

I was reading 1 Peter this evening. I am considering it as a possibility for the Bible study I might teach, although I am still entertaining a number of other ideas. As I was reading, 1 Peter 1:22-23 jumped out at me.

Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again, not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and abiding word of God.

What a strong statement Peter makes here. We have purified our souls in obedience to the truth that we may sincerely love the brethren. This love is to be fervent and from the heart. This love is because we are born again through the imperishable word of God. Loving the brethren is to be a major part of our Christian lives.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. ~ 1 John 4:7-11

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor ~ Romans 12:9-10

Fervent, sincere, unhypocritical, devoted, preferential love from purified hearts stemming from gratitude for the love that God has shown us - this is the love to which we are called. May God give each of us such a love for the brethren!

5 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Great stuff.

Angie said...

Thanks!

Redeemed said...

Amen, Angie. I think this would be a great subject to dicuss for your Bible Study. It's simple, yet no so. And it may just be what some ladies need to hear; that they are loved.

On that note, I love you Angie!!

Angie said...

Thanks for the input, Sarah. I wonder how many lessons I could come up with on it (love, that is). That is something I must consider. You know I love you, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey, my Sunday School class is doing 1 Peter! :) So far they have emphasized how wonderful it is that our heritage is imperishable compared to the perishable things on Earth. How wonderful indeed! Great topic to start with. :)