Tuesday, May 2, 2006

What a day!

Yesterday was quite a day. I got very little sleep on Sunday night (I guess I should say Monday morning) and then could barely stay awake in class. I was sitting about four feet from the professor, so falling asleep was just not an option. Then again, I have never fallen asleep in class, even when I tried (yes, biology in college, during the c. 1964 videos that we watched in almost every class - I really did try to sleep through them, but the volume on the TV was always too high and I never once succeeded). Why start now? It was bad, though, because I was really tempted to crawl up on the floor in the middle of class and go to sleep. I couldn't get past how dirty the carpet probably was, though, and stayed in my chair. Dr. B. was in a good humor and said some really funny stuff in the second half of the class, which helped quite a bit. My favorite quote from class yesterday is from the professor to one of the students, in jest: "I think that you're interpreting my questions in an insane fashion." I'll have to remember that and use it sometime. We only took a 5 minute break very late in the class (my classes are all 3 hours long - very hard on my short attention span and absolutely brutal when all I want to do is go to bed) so we could finish early, and then only finished about 20 minutes early.

I thought that I would use my time between class and teaching (I had about 45 minutes) to go to the library and get some research materials for a paper that I have to get done ASAP, but I looked for my student ID and couldn't find it, so going to the library was out. I went and purchased a bottle of caffeine for myself, since I was really going to need it for my last class with my international students. I needed to offer extra class time so students could make up sessions that they missed. In theory I was supposed to be there with them for two hours. I let them go a lot earlier than that, since I wanted to get home to get my ID card and eat something, since I kind of forgot to eat before going to school yesterday. I looked for my ID card at home and couldn't find it. So I looked again. It was in my purse, hiding inside my checkbook. I had it with me the whole time. I decided to search the library catalog from home and by the time I finished with that it was too late to go to the library. Guess where I'm going this morning!

I am going home tomorrow. I really hope that I sleep on at least one of the two flights! I do look forward to seeing my parents (and my dog) and my friends again.

3 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I used to get really sleepy in Law classes. Those used to be in the evenings after work. It was so hard to pay attention. I did pass the exams, though.

God Bless

Matthew

Redeemed said...

Ever been through canadian history????

It will seriously knock you out. And I love history!

Everybody in the class would doze off.

Angie said...

No, Americans specialize in knowing nothing other than a cleaned up version of their own history.

My classes are all in the afternoon (generally in the 3:00-6:00 pm neighborhood) or at night (7-10). I am usually mentally done by 9:30 during the night classes and find myself checking my watch every 5 minutes, hoping that more time has passed. I am always hungry when I am at school, though, which doesn't help...