Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The unsung verse

I really like to listen to recordings of Keith Green singing "O Lord, You're Beautiful" because he is so real. I knew the song long before I actually heard him sing it. Well, I should say that I knew the first verse and the fourth verse of the song (as they are in the recording I have; I know he's done multiple recordings of it and I think that not all of the verses are in all of them). The other two verses and the chorus (if that's even the appropriate term for it) were completely unknown to me. I think the parts we never sang in church are my favorites. I can really relate to the third verse in particular:

Oh Lord, my faith is small
And I need a touch from You
Your book of books lies undisturbed
And the prayers from me too few

I wish that this did not describe as many times in my life as it does. How many times do I pick up the Bible on Sunday morning only to realize that the last time I opened it was at church the week before? How many times do I lie down in my bed at night and realize that I had not spent any time in prayer that day? That's not a prescription for growth.

13 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

You just need to get into a routine of having a particular time of day for prayer and Bible reading.

It is not difficult to get into routine.

God Bless

Matthew

Anonymous said...

I'm baaaaaaaaack! Wow, I come back to find that Angie has been a busy little bee, posting away! :)

I agree with Matthew, routine is the key. I find that first thing in the morning really is best; whenever I have tried later on in the day as my set time I find that it never happens. Sad, I know. It also helps to have someone keep you accountable. :)

One of my fave songs (Rich Mullins):
Oh God, you are my God
And I will ever praise you
Oh God, you are my God
And I will ever praise you

I will seek you in the morning
And I will learn to walk in your ways
And, step by step you'll lead me
And I will follow you all of my days


And another of my favorite songs based on a psalm (Psalm 5):
Give ear to my words, Oh Lord
Consider my meditation
Hearken unto the voice of my cry
My King and my God
For Unto thee will I pray
My words shalt thou hear in the morning
Oh Lord, in the morning
Will I direct my prayer
Unto thee and will look up

(I love playing this on my flute it is just so beautiful to me!) :)

Angie said...

I actually have a hard time establishing routines of any kind. I'm a really laid back person most of the time and find routines and schedules somewhat restricting, although I know for me I really need them. I'm not so great about discipline in general, and having absolutely nothing on my schedule except church right now doesn't help anything. I go to bed when I feel like it, get up when I wake up, etc. No schedule.

I agree that accountability is important. I am going to be asking Nicole to keep me accountable for a lot of things, I think. It's one of the reasons I really do not do well living by myself. Um, I don't like making the morning my time with God because I have a really hard time getting up when I set an alarm and generally am not completely with it when I do get up. I had the best success in the past when I set aside the time just before going to bed.

Angie sings:
And I will follow you all of my days
And I will follow you all of my days
And step by step you'll lead me
And I will follow you all of my days

I like Rich Mullins. What is it today with Christian musicians who died in accidents at a relatively early age?

Anonymous said...

Ya, I know what you mean!! I'm SO not a morning person either but for some WEIRDO reason that's the only time that works for me. LOL! Go figure. :) But I don't think everyone's time should be in the morning, you just have to find the time that is right for yourself. And actually ya, I think the accountability thing helps a humongous amount more than finding the right time. Plus, you can get into discussion about what you read and how to apply it. :)

Redeemed said...

I know what you mean, Angie, and what "did it" for me is that I had to literally cast down all the idols that I had build up in my life, that took precious time away from my personal time with the Lord.

Idols such as tv and the other is pretty stupid...I was always going out with the young people, from church, even ater the Sunday evening service. By the time I would come home, it went straight to bed.

I really attribute my growth now to prayer - my mom's prayers mostly. It is a matter of discipline, but you can't do it on your own; no one can. We have to ask Lord to mold us so that we crave Him more and more and want to fellowhship with Him on a regular basis!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I know what you mean about the craving. The routine was just the starting point - after a while it becomes more than a routine and the time becomes precious to you. I think that's why I like my two "God-time theme songs" - I can identify with them. LOL. But despite all, I still miss days, and I think something that is encouraging is that it IS a step-by-step process. You might stumble and fall back a couple of steps but God's grace and hand will not let you fall all the way down. :) Yay! So, ya pick yourself up, dust yourself off, admit that you made a mistake and keep moving with God's help. :)

Redeemed said...

yay, Shieryl understands, and I know Angie does too!

Nice to meet you through the blogsphere Shieryl, and congratulations upon your wedding. Oh, and Angie is a wondeful friend, isn't she, she's a blessing!!!!

I still miss days at times, and what irritates me about myself, is that I can be staring into space for 20 minutes, telling myself I should read my Bible, by the time I get to reading my Bible, my eyes are just too heavy and I don't read it. Pretty dumb, I know...but like you said, we pick ourselves up. His Grace is truly the best gift! And it is step-by step, I fully agree. That's why we "grow" in the Lord!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Angie is a wondeful friend, isn't she, she's a blessing!!!!
Amen and Amen! :)

Nice to meet you too, Sarah. You're the one Angie's going to be making hummus with, right? I suppose it wouldn't fare very well if you tried to mail me some of the fruits of your labor. haha ;)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of food, I just ate a big fat carne asada burrito for lunch. It was soooooo good but now I have onion breath. :)

Angie said...

I thank you all for your input. I have to confess that I posted this more because I heard the song this morning than anything else. It is true that I don't have a routine and that I don't read and pray as often as I should or as often as I want to, but my straits are not as dire as the situation presented in the post. :)

My blogging friends help me a lot. How can I NOT open the Bible and how can I NOT pray when I interact with you?

Angie said...

Don't do that to me, Shieryl. Just don't. I had Taco Bell at 11:45 last night, and that's the closest I get to real Mexican food around here.

Anonymous said...

What?? You mean Taco Bell isn't REAL Mexican? Say it ain't so . . . SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! Ok, well now I'm just being silly. "Now it's time for silly songs with Larry; the part of the show where Larry sings silly songs." :)

Onion breath has been fixed by some mints. I will try to refrain from mentioning real Mexican food in the future. ;)

Angie said...

Miren el tomate. Que triste. El no puede bailar.