I was thinking about my response to something that somebody said at dinner on Sunday night. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "Anybody want to share a sampler?" (Appetizer that consisted of several fried food items, for those out there wondering.)
R: "Sure, but I'm ordering a meal, too."
Me: "So am I."
R: "I'm glad to hear that somebody thin eats like I do."
Me: *chuckles*
R: "Are you laughing because I called you thin?"
Me: "Yes."
So somebody called me thin and I laughed. I'm not fat, certainly, but I don't look in the mirror every day and think, "My, Angie, you are so thin," either. (I prefer to think of myself as slightly more "cuddly" than I could be ;).) We tend to see our flaws more than others do, and I am sure that the world doesn't see my extra weight the same way I do. But why did I laugh? I still can't quite figure that out.


17 comments:
Looking at the photo, your figure looks fine, Angie.
Well I did say that I'm not fat. :) Thanks.
Glad you have the date for your move.
I agree with Matthew.
You are gorgeous (red hair, blue eyes, thin, long nails...) and the greatest of all, a Godly woman!
Yes, yes, but the point was why did I laugh when someone said that?
Sarah, I have to confess - only seven of my nails are long right now. I've broken three of them recently.
I don't know why you laughed either. You ordered a sampler? And a meal? Mmmmm, you must describe both. I love food and it is easy to sidetrack me anytime food is mentioned. :) By the way, Dreyers has a limited edition BUTTERFINGERS flavor out right now. It is HEAVENLY!! Go get some before they pull it off the shelves! :)
I've been gnawing my nails off since I was a little girl. My hands aren't one of my finer features.
Angie, you aren't thin, nor fat -- you're just right! lol I think this person was just trying to compliment you. Calling a woman thin is considered a compliment, but if someone called me thin, I'd tell them to get their eyes checked!
Sarah, you are gorgeous too!
Oops, I must correct my grammar...
*you are neither thin or fat
*you are niether thin, nor are you fat
Sorry, I had to correct that. It was bothering me.
Alright, Carey, you asked for it!
I am neither thin nor fat. That's the most grammatically correct way to say it, I believe. ;)
I do thank you all for your kind words. I wasn't fishing for compliments, honestly!
Shieryl, the sampler had mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers and onion rings. I also had a BLT with fries. To top it off we split two cookies & cream milkshakes between the seven of us (we didn't order them, but the waitress had them made up on accident and gave them to us for free).
I think I'll stay away from the ice cream, as much as I love the sound of butterfinger ice cream. When they make Girl Scout cookie ice cream with samoas I'll buy it. Right now I have some light coffee flavored ice cream (Haagen Dazs) and some strawberry sorbet in my freezer. Both taste really good and are slightly less naughty than "real" ice cream. ;)
lol, it's ok Angie. Ever noticed how when you break one nail, they all seem to break soo after. It's like some kind of conspiracy.
lol, Carey, you crack me up!!!
Thanks for the compliment, you are sweet...and drop dead gorgeous!
Angie, that's what I meant. Been really brain-dead lately. *laughs*
Sarah, gorgeous? You must be referring to Angie.
Carey, I roll my eyes at you! You take compliments worse than I do.
oh, Carey you are gorgeous also. We all are!
Oh Angie, you're making me hungry!!
I've never seen any pics of you gals (carey and sarah) but I'll take Angie's word for it that you're both gorgeous. And I already know Angie is. What a lovely bunch of gals! :)
"I think you look like Captain Crunch."
"Do not."
"You're making me hungry."
"Alright, that's it. You're walking the plank."
"Oh yeah? Says who?"
"Says the captain, that's who."
"Aye, aye, Captain Crunch!"
lol. I just KNEW you would pick up on my Veggie reference. Except I think I probably should have spelled it "You're making me 'ungry!" LOL. Yay Veggies! :) I miss watching Veggies with you. :(
I've actually only seen a few pictures of Sarah (who has a very lovely smile) and none of Carey (at least that I recall), but if you read my comments more closely I think you'll see that I have not made many comments about the physical appearance of others, as it is something that I think is ultimately of little importance. I don't really care to get involved in a compliment war! I will say that they are both lovely in character, and that's where it counts. Shieryl, you're cute! You are also a wonderful, godly friend. When I meet these ladies in person someday (hopefully in August), I might be more willing to tell you that they are gorgeous. Pictures only give a glimpse.
Ooops, sorry. I got confused with all the exclamations of gorgeousness. lol.
I will say that they are both lovely in character, and that's where it counts . . . . . Pictures only give a glimpse.
Amen to THAT, sister! Tell it like it is! :)
Post a Comment