I had to go to school today to turn in the final grades for my ESL students. I stopped by the grocery store on the way home and spent some time looking at the postcards that they sell there, thoroughly amused by most of them. I bought one. The picture is of a part of town I drive through every time I go to school (it ends about a block from where I live, actually). I'm not sure who I will bless with a Binghamton postcard yet, however.
When I arrived home I saw a UPS truck in front of the house. It pulled away. I knew it was there for me, and I was saddened that I missed the delivery. I was going to have to wait until tomorrow. But the UPS guy is cool. He saw me in his mirror and came back to deliver my packages (I like to shop online - he knows me by now). I got books. I got two boxes of books from Christian Book Distributors. The boxes contained two hymnals (yay!!!), Strong's Exhaustive Concordance (I finally broke down and bought it), Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (it came in a set with Strong's), a couple of books that were recommended reading, a book that I think might help me with one of my papers for school, 2 copies of a book by Ravi Zacharias (one to keep, one to give) and 10 "surprise" books (cost me $10 - why not?). It didn't cost me an arm and leg for all of this, either. I went shopping in the bargain bin, essentially, and get a discount for being a member for the rest of the stuff. I am glad I did not have to wait until tomorrow to get these books. I just love books!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
Amen, that's great, Angie.
Don't you just feel like a spoiled little girl on your birthday. Books are great. Especially now with summer and great weather. I can just sit outsie, sip on lemonade and sink deep into reading.
Oh, and you can always send me your postcard. I've never been to Binghamton, though I'm certain it's really beautiful. New York State is so nice with all them trees and mountains. It's very flat in Montreal.
I am looking forward to my new apartment because it has a screened in porch. I will be able to sit outside. I can't really do that where I am now!
The best part about Binghamton is the water. The Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers meet about half a mile from where I live now. They are really pretty, especially on beautiful, clear days like today. The sky and the trees were reflecting off of the slowly and calmly moving water. Very nice! It is very green during the summer, too. I do like the landscape!
You managed to get all that at bargain price? Well done.
Watch out for Vine's- he has a very questionable definition of faith.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
It worked out that the books cost about $5 on average. Considering that I have to spend about $600-700 per semester on books for school (30+ books, $20 each), this was a really cheap shopping spree for me. Now I have to figure out where to put them...
I will look at Vine's definition of faith, and read it with a wary eye. Thanks for the heads-up. I will keep your warning in mind when I use it.
Sarah, send me your address (to ibexscribe@hotmail.com) and I will send you the postcard. :)
W.E. Vines was Open Brethren. He wrote a useful presentation of the Open Brethren view of the Church. 'The Church and the Churches.'
He was the first editor of 'Echoes of Service', an excellent missionary journal.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
oh great, hehe, I was going to ask you for your e-mail so we could plan a weekend for you to visit.
I will e-mail u soon, I'm still at work!
I think it's cool that the UPS guy knew you and came back because he saw you. What a sweetie! :)
Hey, are you and Sarah going to have hummus? Gah! I love that stuff.
Oh I just had it this evening. I am hopping that Angie and I can work a weekend out this summer for her to come visit.
We'll have plenty of hummus and teach her how to prepare it! :) yum
I love my UPS guy, Shieryl. He's really cool. I think he has a daughter who just started college. :) How much do you know about your UPS guy? ;)
Yay hummus!!! Shieryl, the stuff at Daphne's isn't bad. It tastes a lot like what I had in Israel all the time. Take advantage of the fact that it is there! I, on the other hand, will learn how to make the real deal, and then you can come see me and I'll make some for you!
Sadly, I don't know my UPS guy at all. In fact, I never see him as I am always at work when he comes to visit.
And you don't have to talk me into being a Daphne's fan. You're preaching to the choir! ;) And I am SO going to take you up on your offer. One day you will find me at your door going "Please Angie, can I have some hummus?" lol :)
You must take advantage of Daphne's and Baja Fresh and In-N-Out and all of the other fabulous fast food establishments out there, for my sake, if nothing else, Shieryl. Oh, and let's not forget Mad Wolf. There is nothing that good out here that you can get that quickly. You and Vince need to eat at Ricardo's El Ranchito for me and pig out on the flour tortilla chips.
Gee Angie, the things that you are asking of me are just SO difficult! I mean, going to all those yummy places and stuffing my face? It will be hard, but I shall give it my best effort. ;)
Aren't I just so demanding?
Post a Comment