Monday, May 8, 2006
I had a dream...
I usually don't remember any of my dreams when I wake up in the morning, but I had one last night that I remember with surprising detail. I was with three older ladies and one of their young adult friends. None were or ever had been married and none were saved. I was trying to share the gospel with them by speaking of the church as the bride of Christ. I think they thought I was nuts. They kept trying to get me to shut up, but I just kept on trying to tell them. Interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 comments:
I have lots of weird dreams.
You were very faithful in that dream.
I had a weird dream the other night. In it I was in the habit of sleeping with my father's concubine (no details fortunately). Very Biblical. However, towards the end of the dream I realised that I was not being very faithful to the Lord and that I needed to repent of this sinful behaviour.
Remembering advice from another blogger (Daniel of 'Doulogos'- ever visited his blog?) I repented of my behaviour in the dream when I woke up.
You can delete this comment if the content is objectionable.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
What a dream. Interesting for sure. Freud would have loved it, you naughty boy! ;) Do you suppose it was inspired more by the Old Testament or the New Testament? They both have good examples of that kind of thing.
I wish I had a copy of David Benner's Sacred Companions on me (he's a Christian psychologist, so don't tell my MacArthurite friends that I read it - the school I went to is really anti-psychology), but I must have missed it when I was packing my sizeable book collection when I moved to New York. He has a section on dreams in there that I thought was a bit over the top, but it had some good points to make. One of those points is that our dreams are an extension of our thought life (by which I mean to make absolutely no implication - I've had some weird and very disturbing ones that seem to come from nowhere) and should be included in taking every thought captive. We should be actively submitting our dreams to God through prayer each night before we go to sleep. He's also somewhat into dream interpretation. I'm not so sure about that part.
I don't consider your comment objectionable, since you included no details. What I objected to earlier was the suggestive nature of that particular comment (I know what you're referring to).
I have seen Daniel around on other blogs but haven't visited his yet.
Uhh... interesting. *coughs*
There's really only one dream I've had that I remember with graphic clarity. Maybe I'll write about it in a post (and don't worry - no Freudian content).
Angie, when you refer to suggestive, are you referring to that comment by Candy Minx or did I say something objectionable before?
In the dream I remembered that this sort of thing was condemned in the OT. I thought to myself 'This is not acceptable. I am going to have to stop this.'
Good point about taking our dreams captive. That is a good idea.
I believe John F MacArthur has been criticised by some people for being too pro-psychology.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
Matthew, it was Candy Minx, not you. I don't think I have seen anything that you have written that was in particularly poor taste.
Johnny Mac has been criticized for being pro-psychology? That comes as a huge surprise. I really thought that he was a big part of the reason that The Master's College is so anti-psychology. They have a prominent Biblical Counseling program and it is one of the few places in the US that one can earn an MA in Biblical Counseling. Generally they think that there is nothing to gain from psychology and it is all of the devil. They also tend to think that there is no medical reason for things like depression (at least this was a common view among students - the professors might be smart enough to know the difference between psychology and psychiatry).
Carey, I do look forward to reading about your one memorable dream, even without the Freudian content.
*laughs* I'm sure my Lit professor could find something Freudian about my dream. Nothing sensual, as far as I'm concerned. It's published now, if you want to go read it.
*Angie, I know what you are talking about. I hadn't noticed that u deleted the comment, but that is really great and commendable
Last Saturday we didn't go tract passing cuz it was church cleaning day. But I was so worried that we were missing on tract passing that I dreamt about it.
I dreamt that mom and I went somewhere where there seemed to be a line up, so mom and I started handing the people tracts, and when they were not responding, I started singing "what can wash away my sins, nothing but the blood of Jesus". LOL
Dreams can be sooooooo weird.
Sarah, what comment did I delete?
Oh, maybe I got this wrong. Well candy mix did comment something really "out there" once on shoes off which was innapropriate. Maybe u didn't notice, or maybe u did...do u know what I am talking aobut, I don't want to repeat.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse!
Oh, I think I know what you mean. As far as I know the comment is still there. I wanted to delete it when I read it, but I don't have administrative rights to the blog and can't. I followed Matthew's advice and just ignored it instead.
Angie, did you want administrative rights?
It is a team blog. As long as you let me know of any changes you wanted to make that woudl be fine.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
Sarah, one of my fellow preachers used to sing that song when he went street preaching. However, he no longer thinks that singing is very useful in evangelism.
God Bless
Matthew
Matthew, about the only change I would make now would be to add your J. N. Darby blog to the links. It is really up to you.
Yes, and I keep meaning to add your blog to the links on my main blog.
Adding links is such is an irritating process, but it needs to be done.
May the Lord keep us all from procrastination.
Matthew
Matthew, last time we went street preaching it went so well that right before wrapping up, we all huddled and sang "o victory in Jesus" and then closed in prayer.
It was nice, but I think that just one hymn like that at the end is enough.
There are two problems with singing in evangelism; people may not like it and they may not be able to hear the words.
With preaching, people will hear the words whether they like it or not.
Every Blessing in Christ
Matthew
Yeh, I don't think we will always be doing that. We stick to the street preaching and tract passing.
Oh, I love to sing! (But my little bro gets embarrassed if I sing in public.) Oh, which reminds me... am going to perform "Nothing But The Blood" in a quartet in church next month. LOL Coincidence? I love that hymn. I'll be singing 1st alto.
Maybe we can record it somehow and post the song on my blog.
I love to sing, but I have such terrible performance anxiety that I prefer the choir atmosphere (where I sing alto/2nd soprano now but have spent more time as soprano/2nd soprano - the 2S part is my favorite!) or a worship team where the congregation is singing along and not listening to me (then I sing either soprano or alto, depending on who else is singing). I have done some solos in church and at weddings, and since I love being the center of attention I do somehow manage to get over the stage fright. ;)
Post a Comment