Monday, May 29, 2006

The roommate chronicles: Day 2

In Sunday School last week we talked about what it means to bear one another's burdens. Sometimes that means something as simple as providing the shoulder to cry on and the listening ear. That was what I shared about what it means to me, thinking of a time in college when I had the opportunity to do just that. I had a weekly lunch date with a woman who was my spiritual mentor at the time, and at the appointed time for us to meet I saw her driving away from the campus. I went back to my dorm room for a bit and very soon found one of my dear friends in my room. She received a call in the middle of the night saying that her grandmother had suddenly died, and that moment in my room with me was the first time she could really express her grief. She cried and I held her. God orchestrated that moment. I was not supposed to be in my room at that time on that day according to my own plans, but I needed to be there for my friend, and I am glad that my lunch date stood me up (she went home sick, as she explained to me later). This was not coincidence.

Last night I blew up a second air mattress so that three of us could watch a movie from the kitchen (which happens to be Nicole's "bedroom" until we get out of here next week). I was doing some cooking and Nicole and Amy were alternating between using the computer and watching the movie. By the time we all finished what we were doing and were ready to really watch the movie that had been on for a little while Amy decided to leave, since she had some late night plans with another friend. Nicole decided to stay here with me rather than go with Amy. We finished the movie and as the credit were rolling I could see the tears welling in her eyes. Once again I was honored to bear a burden by providing my shoulder and my ear. God is teaching her about surrendering every aspect of her life, and yesterday provided her with a trial. She knows that she will be better for it, and that is encouraging to me, but that does not make things hurt any less. We talked until 2:00 am, quite openly and candidly. The air mattresses came in handy for our chat, as we each took one to get comfortable. I think this trial came into her life at a "good" time. She moved in with me on Saturday and the trial hit her on Sunday. It is no coincidence that she is now living with me. I am home much more often than her former roommate, so I will be here when she needs to talk or pray. There are other reasons I think that this will be better for her to be with me, too. She said it herself that God is sovereign. There are so many details that make the timing of the trial perfect. Even in the most difficult moments God's hand is still there guiding us, and He puts us in the right place at the right time, even if it hurts. His plans are for our good and for our prosperity. It is good to serve a trustworthy God.

6 comments:

Carey said...

Amen! We do serve a trustworthy God. Praise the Lord you were there just at the right time. Isn't it amazing how our Father orchestrates things like that?

Angie said...

Carey, it is truly amazing. He consistently looks out for the welfare of His children!

Redeemed said...

How nice! I do believe in Christians bearing one another's burdens. God's timing is really incredible. This reminds me that the Lord is always with us in the midst of our storm. It's comforting that he sends us good friends to help carry the burden.

I will pray for both Nicole and yourself. May your friendship keep on blossoming!

Angie said...

Thanks. Right now we're sitting in the same room, and sending each other instant messages. She's giving me funny looks and I'm laughing. :) Sometimes it's just fun to be silly!

Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, it is wonderful how God arranges things.

Angie said...

It is wonderful indeed, Matthew.