Friday, May 19, 2006

Gendered color

I know "gender" is one of those academic terms that is loaded with meaning, most of which is very postmodern, but I am going to make use of it anyway. Gender is not just "male" or "female." It is, as defined by most historians these days, a social construct. In other words it is a socially defined image of what a man or a woman ought to be. There are a lot of arguments about whether any characteristics are inherent to the biological sex and I have to think that there are. Men and women are wired differently. There are things associated with male or female that I don't think need to be. Color is one of them.

Girls wear pink, boys wear blue. If you are buying a baby gift for someone and you don't know whether they are having a boy or a girl, buy yellow because it is gender neutral. While it can be useful in its application I think it is most unfair to say that pink is feminine and blue is masculine. There is nothing inherently feminine about pink and nothing inherently masculine about blue. They are both perfectly good colors. Maybe it is because I don't particularly care for pink and happen to really like blue that this bothers me. As a woman, however, the engendered colors really have no effect on what I can and cannot wear. A woman can wear red, blue, green, brown or black and nobody questions her. A man wears pink or purple and it is amazing how homophobic some people become. Those are girly colors! No real man would wear them. Come now, let us be reasonable! What makes the colors "girly"? Society does. You should feel free to wear the color if it looks good on you. I am quite pleased at the increased willingness I see in men to wear the pale pink shirts. It takes nothing from their "manhood" to do so. Maybe it's all in my head, but this is one thing I see in society that I just find silly.

(Speaking of gender, I hereby express my great appreciation for all of you men out there who are not afraid of Jane Austen. It has a little romance, true, but men fall in love, too! It has such great commentary on society as well, which is something that anyone should be able to appreciate. Regardless of what some members of my family imply, it is neither effeminate nor emasculating to like her work!)

8 comments:

Charlie Wallace said...

Great post. Check out my shirt in the picture.

Angie said...

Yes! Way to be a man! Thanks for visiting and for commenting. Your shirt says it all.

Redeemed said...

Cool post, Angie!

I remember my pshycology class (remember, uhhh yeh, right, somewhat), we studied a case where they did some kind of test with newborn babies.

They took a girl and wrapped her up in blue, and took a boy and wrapped him up in pink and analyzed people's reaction to the baby. People identified the pink with a girl and the blue with a boy.

At church, we have a young teen who is really "cool" and has a pink hat. It really suits him but he always gets asked by girls "yuck, why pink?". I love his response "cuz I look good in pink". lol, tooooooo cute!!!

Matthew Celestine said...

I probably have a few girly tendencies, but I do not think I would wear pink.

My favorite colour is grey.

I do like Jane Austen.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

What makes a tendency girly, and according to whose definition of it? Do we hold up a standard of what a man ought to be like based on what the Bible says about it or based on what our culture says about it?

Matthew Celestine said...

Culture gives expression to human thought and behaviour.

It is very difficult to separate gender from culture.

I do not think that a man ought to wear clothing that is culturally associated with the femminine. Now, that does nto rule out wearing pink, because pink clothes can be accepted on a man, even if some people sneer at that choice of colour. But a man ought not to wear high heeled shoes in western culture because that it is too closely associated with what is considered femminine.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

Yes, I see your point, Matthew. Your comment about high heels made me think of Dennis Rodman, which is never a pleasant thought. (He is a former basketball player who is well known for dyeing his hair extremely unnatural colors - green, for example, which earned him the nickname "The Worm" - and cross-dressing. Disturbing, that.)

Charlie Wallace said...

Agree with Matthew. In the part of the country where I'm from, it is VERY cultrally acceptable for men to wear pink, yellow, pastel, and many bright colors - especially in the spring and summer.

That's South Carolina.