Thursday, May 18, 2006

Confession

I have a confession to make. I am a fan of Harry Potter. I am not a super huge fan as some are, but I do enjoy the books and movies and own all of them. Next week marks my two year anniversary of reading my first Harry Potter book (I read it in the waiting room of a hospital - not the most pleasant of circumstances). I like the books and films because of J K Rowling's great imagination and engaging story. Fantasy is fun, even for adults.

I know that many Christians do not like Harry Potter at all (most of whom I imagine have not read any of the books) and some that thought it was okay originally balked after book 4 was released, as it took "a dark turn." Usually the complaints are about witchcraft and the presence of evil in the books and films. I understand this criticism. I think it is fair for people to hold that position. I think it is amusing that some of these same people are Lord of the Rings fans. LOTR has wizardry (granted, not practiced by children), a very strong presence of evil (um, Sauron is no more benign than Voldemort) and is full of references to characters drinking a lot of alcohol and smoking weeds (drinking and smoking being two of American Christendom's most abhorred activities). Is it any better? But it is a Christian allegory! No, it is not, it is pure fantasy (if you doubt me, just read the author's preface to the book; I don't really care how many books are written to "prove" that Tolkien did, in fact, intentionally write an allegory). Every hero in good vs. evil stories is going to have some typological connection to the greatest story because Christ's triumph over evil is complete. Anything that attempts to deal with good against evil must therefore emulate to some degree, intentionally or not. But I digress. Why are we so quick to condemn one and embrace the other? Is it because LOTR was a childhood favorite for a lot of Christians in the English speaking world? Really, the kinds of criticisms I hear of Harry Potter could be turned toward LOTR nine times out of ten but I don't hear LOTR condemned (at least not loudly). Not that I want it to be condemned, of course, as I quite enjoy it (and own the book and the extended edition DVD sets and an X-box game - oh, yeah, I have a Harry Potter X-box game, too).

What I find interesting about the Potter criticism is that it all seems so focused on the witchcraft and evil and so little focused on the character of Harry himself. Harry is a rule breaker. He disobeys all the time and is praised for it in the end because he solves all sorts of problems. That is what bothers me most (well, that and the amount of "snogging" in one of the books - about the only benefit I received from that is adding one more British term to my lexicon - "snogging" sounds to me like something that one might do when one has a bad head cold), yet I really don't hear much about Harry as a questionable (in a non-magical sense) role model for young people.

I do not know if I would recommend Harry Potter to children. I think the books are "appropriate" reading for kids as they age with Harry and his friends. For instance, an eleven year old could handle the good/evil balance of book 1 but probably would suffer more than a fourteen year old from the content of book 4. The witchcraft question is more sticky, admittedly, but I think my sister was right when she said that it would probably not be damaging to children if an adult discussed the issue with them and if they understood that it is fantasy as presented and very evil and dangerous in reality. I think that is a decision for parents to make for their own children, not for me to make for them. As for me, however, I still like Harry despite his problems, and eagerly await the release of the final book. (I saw something in the news several months ago that it was supposed to be released this year, but the latest rumors say it will be another full year if not longer, putting the book release date very close to the theatrical release of the 5th movie in July 2007.)

27 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

You are very brave, Angie.

I read the first four books.

I think it is rather inconsistent to condemn Harry Potter absolutely while at the same time enjoying Narnia and the Lord of the Rings books.

I once a letter to a newspaper who said that only evil characters use magic in Narnia and the Lord of the Rings. Had he even read the books? Gandalf? The Deep Magic of the Emperor?

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Redeemed said...

I am "attracted" to books and movies such as the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and my biggest obsession, Star Wars.

That is, until, I have made a PERSONAL vow not to read or see any movies as such.

I can't even get through my list of must read books (christians)!!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! I agree with everything you said, especially the thing about Harry himself that bothers me most is he takes stupid, dangerous risks and breaks the rules and gets rewarded anyway. But I too love Rowlings' creativity - I couldn't put the books down with the exception of Book 4 because as you said, it took a "dark turn". Not only that, but it was quite graphic in describing the steps taken to bring Voldemort back to life. I definitely would not want my child reading book 4! But the rest of the books I think could be handled by children quite well as long as they understand that it is FICTION and that witchcraft in real life is NOT GOOD. lol :) I think though that had book 5 continued with the dark turn that book 4 had I would not have continued reading the rest of the series, as images like that I think are unhealthy to get stuck in your head.

Angie said...

Matthew, I am glad that you agree that it is inconsistent to condemn Harry (it's not his fault he has that scar ;)!) and embrace LOTR (and Narnia). I didn't bring Narnia into the original discussion because it actually was intended to be allegorical, and also partly because it has been so long since I read (or had them read to me might be more accurate) any of the books.

Sarah, may I ask why you chose to make that personal vow? I'm just curious. :)

Yes, Shieryl, I did like book 5 better. I think the plot becomes so much more interesting at that point. I predict that #12 Grimmauld Place will play a role in book 7, but we won't get into my theories about what is going to happen. It is idle speculation. They have websites like Mugglenet (the one linked in the post)for stuff like that. Shieryl, do you think that the age of the child matters?

Matthew Celestine said...

I destroyed a lot of fantasy books a couple of years ago.

I have given up Star wars completely and I will not go back to that. Star Wars is just too addictive.

Like Shieryl, I dislike the Harry Potter character. I cannot see myself reading the rest of those books.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

Good post! :)

I would like to point out that there is a big difference between the worldview portrayed in Harry Potter and the worldview of Tolkien and CS Lewis. Although LOTR is not a Christian allegory the way in which Lewis’s Narnia is, the redemptive elements in it are quite obvious. Tolkien’s portrayal of good versus evil is Christian in a way that Rowling's is not (well, of course not, since she's not a Christian, and Tolkien was!) Sauron, the fallen angel of the tale, is like Satan in that he cannot create anything good of his own – all he can do is twist and corrupt God's good creation. Ultimately Sauron is not defeated by might or power, but by the love and self-sacrifice of the two humble hobbit-heroes. Contrast that with Jo Rowling’s pragmatic, relativist universe in which it’s basically Good Magic pitched against Bad Magic. There really is quite a considerable moral difference here and that difference might not be easily detected in Peter Jackson's LOTR movies (which I enjoy enormously, by the way ... although they don't reflect the book's substance!)

In other words, just because these three authors come under the fantasy genre, it doesn’t mean their books can all be lumped together as if they are all exactly the same. Some fantasy is openly atheistic (like Philip Pullman’s Dark Materials Trilogy). There is by comparison something deeply wholesome and redemptive in the imaginations of Lewis and Tolkien – which is why they are two of my favourite authors! I loved the recent Narnia film and felt it handled the Christian symbolism admirably.

Having said that, I too enjoy the Harry Potter books and films (although the hype gets on my nerves.) While I’m low-key charismatic in my theology, I’m certainly not the kind of charismatic who sees a demon hiding in every cupboard. I would not declare HP off-limits to any discerning Christian reader: but like you, and the others who have commented here, I would also counsel ‘handle with caution’.

I think it’s fair to say that the early Harry Potter books brought a whole new generation of British children to the delights of reading. Hopefully the fantasy outings of Harry will have spurred those children onto higher and better literature!

I have to say that I was very disturbed when I went to see Goblet of Fire and a child aged about five started crying and saying that she didn’t like it. I was angry at the stupidity of her parents. There is absolutely no way I would expose a young child to the images and ideas in that film. I wholly blame the parents, since the film carried the appropriate warnings.

One final thing: LOTR is not a children’s book. (Yes, I am a long-time Tolkien geek, whoops I mean devotee, so excuse the zeal, LOL!)

*meekly dons her best geek hat*

Regards in Christ,

Philippa

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do think that the age of the child matters. I don't think these books are bed-time story material, lol. They should be old enough to fully understand fiction vs. real and actually this would be a good way/opportunity to teach a child the difference between media and real life. I think that there is far more junk to be found in today's T.V. programming than in the Harry Potter series. And in my humble opinion, I think the junk on T.V. flies much lower under people's radar than the things that are so flagrantly controversial in H.P.

Anonymous said...

Ultimately Sauron is not defeated by might or power, but by the love and self-sacrifice of the two humble hobbit-heroes. Contrast that with Jo Rowling’s pragmatic, relativist universe in which it’s basically Good Magic pitched against Bad Magic.
I would have to (most agreeably, of course) disagree with this statement. Ultimately, what defeated Voldemort and kept Harry alive as a baby was the love and self-sacrifice of Harry's parents. Also, there is a strong theme of friendship in HP (as in LOTR) among Harry and his friends, frequently he is unable to overcome tasks without the help of Ron and Hermione. I also don't think it is just good magic vs. bad magic but good people vs. bad people and which path of magic they choose (similar in LOTR - good beings (elves, hobbits, good wizard etc.) vs. bad beings (orcs, sauron, bad wizard). Actually LOTR also has good magic vs. bad magic if you compare Saruman with Gandalf.

In other words, just because these three authors come under the fantasy genre, it doesn’t mean their books can all be lumped together as if they are all exactly the same.
This statement I fully agree with! :)

I have to say that I was very disturbed when I went to see Goblet of Fire and a child aged about five started crying and saying that she didn’t like it. I was angry at the stupidity of her parents. There is absolutely no way I would expose a young child to the images and ideas in that film. I wholly blame the parents, since the film carried the appropriate warnings.
I agree!!! I had a similar experience - I went to go watch Munich and some parents had brought their 5 year old daughter. I nudged Vince and I was like, helllooooo! Poor thing, luckily she fell asleep near the beginning. I was glad because the movie turned out to have some violent graphic bloody scenes and 2 love scenes. Great movie and concept but could've done without those scenes.

Angie said...

Hmmm. Considering my response to the battle scene when we went to see Narnia, Shieryl, I am sure you can guess what I think about taking kids to see movies like Goblet of Fire. I went to see it with Jessica, and I even found it a bit dark, but no worse than the book. Not for young children, certainly.

Thanks for visiting, Philippa, and for your thoughts. I do like knowing that people do not make assumptions without actually thinking the issue through. I tend to agree with Shieryl, however, on the points that she made. You are right about LOTR not being a children's book per se, but many children read it nonetheless. I was introducted to it in college.

I have to confess that by the time I reached Harry's most annoying years (books 4 and 5 - I think he's more mature in book 6) I was so engrossed by the plot that I have to indulge myself at least long enough to read the last book.

Matthew, I do like the original Star Wars a lot, but I found the prequels rather disappointing. I am not generally a fan of destroying books (truly satanic books being an exception, certainly), being a librophile myself, but I can certainly understand choosing to get rid of them.

Redeemed said...

Of course, again, I stress it is a personal conviction.

Don't ask why, but I just feel uncomfortable watching them. My obsession to star wars was pretty serious.

I am happy and at peace with the decision I have made. I can now concentrate my free time to reading the Bible, edifying books, naps (beauty sleep) and blogging, of course!

Redeemed said...

*concecrate*

Angie said...

Sounds kind of like my reasons for having the TV disconnected. :) Thanks for sharing, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the welcome, Angie. :)

Ultimately, what defeated Voldemort and kept Harry alive as a baby was the love and self-sacrifice of Harry's parents. Also, there is a strong theme of friendship in HP (as in LOTR) among Harry and his friends, frequently he is unable to overcome tasks without the help of Ron and Hermione. I also don't think it is just good magic vs. bad magic but good people vs. bad people and which path of magic they choose (similar in LOTR - good beings (elves, hobbits, good wizard etc.) vs. bad beings (orcs, sauron, bad wizard). Actually LOTR also has good magic vs. bad magic if you compare Saruman with Gandalf.

Shieryl, you are quite right! :)

I tend to be overly protective of Tolkien because some Christians of a fundamentalist persuasion label him, totally inaccurately, as 'occult'. This would have horrified him. Gandalf is not meant to be a wizard in any occult sense: he is actually more like an angel, sent by Eru (God) to provide counsel for the people of Middle-earth in its Third Age. I also think Tolkien is quite careful in the way he portrays his virtuous supernatural characters employing magic: the Elves, for example, are puzzled by the Hobbits' naive request to see 'elf magic'.

Like Angie, the idea of burning books horrifies me (unless, as you say, they are openly demonic. Of course such things must be burned). I donate any books I don't want to charity.

Redeemed, your example reminds me that it never hurts us to give up something we enjoy for the sake of knowing the Lord better ... however wholesome the item might be in itself. :) He is worth more than any of it! :)

Blessings,

Philippa

Matthew Celestine said...

I went a bit too far a couple of years ago.

Some of the stuff I destroyed was very unedifying, but other things were OK.

I was unemployed and engaged to be married (a stupid idea). It was a very stressfull time of my life. I thought God would bless me if I got rid of loads of secular stuff. My Christian friends had told me that was how to secure God's blessing and I beleived them.

The truth was that it was my relationship with my fiance that needed to end, not the kind of books and music I enjoyed.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

Matthew, I do hope that when you say it was a stupid idea to be engaged that you are talking specifically about your situation at the time, looking back and recognizing that your fiancee was not God's best for you.

When I was in high school I dated a guy from church. I think things started out okay, but they quickly became "stupid" (and I have used that word to describe it) because he was graduating and decided to go to a university in another state. We decided that we didn't want a long distance relationship (I was a rather fickle 16 or 17 year old at the time), so we would break up when he left for school. Now THAT is stupid. We were dating with every intention of breaking up. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Carey said...

Personally, I never read the books because I preferred to read classic literature that would enhance my education... it's called "edutainment." I think obession with Harry Potter -- or LOTR, or Narnia, or anything -- is not healthful, especially for young children.

Angie said...

Obsession is a problem. I think I haven't fallen that far into it, though, and I hope I never do! I read stuff like Harry Potter and LOTR in addition to classic literature and more educational stuff. Harry Potter and LOTR are really my only fantasy genre literature (unless you count The Princess Bride as fantasy, since I have that book, too).

Anonymous said...

We were dating with every intention of breaking up.
LOL!!!

Angie said...

Glad I could amuse you with one of my "what was I thinking" moments, Shieryl. :)

burndive said...

My sister talked me into reading the first Harry Potter book, and I was instantly hooked. What was it that hooked me? Was it some giddy excitement and curiosity about witchcraft? No.

The Harry Potter books are not about witchcraft or magic at all. Those are merely the backdrop. They allow the author to engage in creativity constructing the universe of the books, but ultimately that universe is made of the same moral fiber as our own. Magic is not the point, it is means to an end. The point of the books is that in this fantastical world, these kids are thrown into surprisingly recognizable moral dilemmas and forced to make decisions. The kind of decisions that, on a smaller scale, we are all forced to make each day. Love vs. power; who are my friends and how do I treat them? How do I treat people who don't matter to my social group? What do I want to do with my life? What is worth living for? What is worth dying for?

The Harry Potter books, amid all the broomsticks, potions, wands, and snogging, are about righteousness, and it is righteousness that is upheld through the force of Professor Dumbledore's character, and the lessons that Harry is in the process of learning. That process, just like in real life, is a messy one. Neat, tidy moral lessons are not for children: they are for cowards. Why do you think the book of Judges exists? No, they are not for children who cannot distinguish fantasy from reality. This distinction is not strictly one of age, but of temperament. Yes, that's right: children have unique personalities.

One thing that makes the books appealing is that they treat children as people, not things. When I was little, I always considered myself a rational being. I did not like being talked down to. I did not like it when books portrayed children in one dimension. I was not a paper doll: I was a person, and I was alive, and it was refreshing to find a world in which my little life, or one like it, was taken seriously. Harry Potter provides an opportunity for children to realize that their decisions, even though they are "just a kid" are no less important than the ones made by everyone else. It matters to God: it should matter.

Matthew Celestine said...

Angie, yes I meant that situation was pretty stupid.

Obviously I do not think getting engaged is stupid in general.

God Bless

Matthew

Angie said...

Tim, thanks for visiting, and for your thoughts on Harry Potter. I can certainly see your point, but I still think that Harry is a real snot in a couple of the books. Maybe I'm just a legalist. ;) I also think your reaction to it is in part because you are rational and also that you were not a child when you read the books. (See, I can say nice things about you, Timmy.) Which one of your sisters introduced you to Harry?

Your comment made me think of 1 Timothy 4:12 ~ Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. :)

Matthew, I am glad that is what you meant, else I should have to take you to task on your opinion.

burndive said...

It was my little sister. She listened to the book on tape that her teacher was playing during her art class. That was her freshman year, I believe.

If Harry was a perfect little angel, he would never learn lessons the hard way, and the story would be candy-coated and disingenuous. We would never have the opportunity to see him learn from his mistakes, which is a behavior that is far too infrequently modeled. Harry is a snot because sometimes kids (and adults!) can be little snots, but that doesn't put us (or him) beyond redemption of character.

I think you're right that I reacted the way I did to the books because I'm a rational, but I don't think that fact, nor the fact that I read the books as an adult detracts from my point: children become engaged when they are taken seriously, and are turned off when they are being caricatured.

We all have a built-in BS detector: it's just that some people have let theirs get clogged over the years.

Angie said...

We all have a built-in BS detector: it's just that some people have let theirs get clogged over the years.

Nice. I think that's up there on my list of the best comments I've seen on blogs. "Cakes are a major part of my life" is still one of my absolute favorites. I should record these somewhere. ;)

Matthew Celestine said...

I am glad you liked that.

Have you had 25 comments on your posts before, Angie?

Angie said...

I don't think so, Matthew, not on this blog. There were 29 comments on one of the Shoes Off posts (flip flops). This really was a huge success. I think I'll have to post some more debatable stuff in the future. :)

Matthew Celestine said...

That is great, Angie.